- Spending a day offshore and learning bottom fishing and light jigging techniques
- Enjoying cold breakfast on board prepared by our crew
- Experiencing the fishing life in Dalmatia and becoming familiar with the lifestyle of the local fishermen
- Enjoying your time onboard while waiting for the first catch
- You don’t have to worry about the equipment. We will prepare everything necessary (fishing equipment, bait, and chum)
- Make sure to have enough sunscreen by your side
- Bring some warm spare clothes. The weather can be unpredictable
- Capture the best moments of the trip with a waterproof camera or smartphone
- Duration: 6 hours
- Capacity (per boat): 6 persons (per boat)
- Max. capacity: There is no capacity limit for this fishing tour. If there are more than 6 persons in your group, contact us, and we will gladly create a tailored fishing trip for your group with multiple boats (depending on the total number of persons in your group)
- Children: No children under 3 years are allowed to participate
- fishing equipment
- safety equipment
- professional skipper
- private boat
- personal expenses
Preferable pickup location: Trogir
Possible pickup location: Split
|Meeting time||8:00AM from Split / 8:30AM from Trogir|
Try Your Hand at Fishing the Traditional Way
I might have been six years old when my grandfather began including me on his fishing trips. Remember him – I mentioned him in my last story. Before that, I had never been on the sea for such a long time – imagine, a whole day at sea! That day he chose the south side of the island to fish. We threw our nets out into the sea for the second time that morning. As we approached a small nearby beach, my grandfather cleaned and barbecued a grilled fish that we’d caught only an hour before. What sense of pride I felt when my Grandfather told me how satisfied he was with my help, and that he never could have caught so many fish without me. As a young boy, I really believed this was true!
The culture of fishing is deeply rooted in the lives of the Dalmatian people. The sea provides a way of life that is evident even today in a coastal civilization. As in days of antiquity, life lived next to the sea is synonymous with the sea itself. For traditional fishermen, the sea drives their emotions, dictates their moods, and puts bread on the table. On the islands, fishing is a trade as well as an art form which has been passed down, father to son, for countless generations.
This excursion provides a firsthand life experience for those who love fishing and love the sea. See for yourself why this traditional activity is probably the most significant part of life in Dalmatia. Whether you want to try your hand at fishing, or choose to enjoy the expedition as a guest, you’ll get a fresh perspective. Experienced local fishermen have many tales to tell about the demanding and spiritual life at sea. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced fisherman, we extend our invitation to you. Join us – not just to have a wonderful time on the water, but to revel in the traditional fishing techniques and the various fishing boats used throughout the centuries.
The departure times for our fishing trip may vary, depending on your preferences. Most of the time, we set sail in the early morning hours from a small port in Slatine called “Porat”. This location was not randomly chosen! The inhabitants of Slatine have traditionally made their livelihood from fishing, and more than half of the men who live here today are either sailors or fishermen.
You will add some new words to your vocabulary, such as prova, krma, cima, timun. You will also learn about fishing knots, hooks, lines, and nets; as well as how to use vrsa, mriza or parangal. You will learn how to catch the needlefish and the squid, which are used as live bait for an even bigger and better tasting fish. Using our techniques, if you are lucky, you will catch yourself something really special for dinner.
For this kind of trip you won’t need a fancy speed boat, an echo-sounder or any another type of modern equipment. This trip is for those who love tradition, experiencing adventure and for those who have a passion for sea.
Of course, the trip concludes with a delicious fish dinner at the local tavern where you’ll feast on the fruits of your labor and enjoy some of the delicious fine wines from the Dalmatian region.